Sunday, January 29, 2012

Family History Seminars

I attended a Family History Seminar sponsored by the Commodore Sloat Chapter of the NSDAR in Seaside, CA this weekend. The key note address was by Claire V. Brisson-Banks who was a very good speaker. The subject was Social Media and how the use of it can foster World Wide Collaboration on our family research. She talked about her own blogs and how she uses it to share information about her research with her family. She write specific articles about individual family members and adds a photo of the person. I think this is a great idea. I learned that I have been under utilizing all of the social media that I am active on. There were some great ideas for expanding this specifically in other countries where I have family roots. Today I plan to start making some changes in the direction of broadening my activity.
My most active line at this time is my husband's Morgan line that arrived in Oswego, NY in the early 1830s. I have recently been "found" by a descendant of one of the siblings of my husband's second great grandfather, Joseph W. Morgan. We are both very excited about our meeting and looking forward to collaborating on the expansion of what we both know about this family.

No comments: