The family I'm learning more about today is the descendants of Frederick Schmidt/Smith and Mary Ann McKenny/McNeil. Their daughter Francis Anastasia "Fanny" Smith was my great grandmother. She married George Gee in Yuba County, CA in 1890. She was the youngest of six children. When Frederick died here in Marysville in 1880 the family lived in the same block where Grandpa George later built a house. Everyone but the oldest daughter Clara and Fanny moved to San Francisco. Fanny's sister, Betty also lived here for a while. I haven't yet learned if she left and came back or she had stayed.
When Frederick died some of the children were still minors. Clara was 27, Mary was 22, Leonard was 19, Betty was 15, Jack was 14 and Fanny was 7.
Last night right before I logged off my computer I discovered the World War I Draft Registration of Frederick and Mary Ann's grandson Chester Francis Gorman. Chester was the son of Betty. This discovery has renewed my interest in the family who I don't know much about. George and Fanny's son Glenn Ernest Gee (my grandfather's brother) had done some research on this family back in the 50s. He has listed Mary as Philomena Mary Schmidt/Smith but the 1870 and 1880 census list her as Augustina and an entry in the History of Sutter County Ca 1879 lists her as Agnes A. The records left behind by Uncle Ernie state that he did research at the Catholic Records Center in Kentucky but I have not been able to locate that repository so I don't know where he got the name of Philomena Mary from.
All of the children of Frederick and Mary Ann only had 2 or three children. Those grandchildren only had 2 or three children.
Today using City Directories and the 1940 Census I will hopefully get closer to find cousins who can tell me more about the family.
No comments:
Post a Comment